Friday, September 21, 2012

Blog #4


FANBOYS. I feel like I heard that acronym all throughout high school, AND it meant nothing. YET, (does that work? I put a comma after the coordinating conjunction instead of before…hmm…) something about it obviously stuck with me because I seem to understand it pretty well. OR so I think.

This past week was a blast for me. I absolutely loved making the sentences on the magnet board and having the challenge of only using a few select words; I think that made it a lot more unique and fun for us to be creative…some of us got very creative, ha ha. The activity really helped me to grasp the difference between intransitive, transitive, and linking verb sentences. WHILE IDENTIFYING NOUNS,VERBS, AND ADJECTIVES COMES EASY FOR ME, IDENTIFYING THESE S-VI, S-V-O, AND S-LV-SC SENTENCES DOES NOT COME AS EASY. BUT that is why we are practicing them, right? J

WHEN WE WENT OVER THE SENTENCES WE CREATED ON THURSDAY, I SURE GOT A GOOD LAUGH FROM A FEW OF THEM. Being able to not only create our own S-Vi, S-V-O, and S-LV-SC sentences, but see other peoples sentences also, was nice to get a more broad understanding of the different ways they are. FOR as many of the sentences that we made, we all better be pro at identifying them now.

BEFORE I BEGAN THIS CLASS I THOUGHT I WAS PRETTY GOOD AT GRAMMAR; I have realized I have a lot to master before I should be allowed to teach a class. Something I have come to realize about myself though is that I may be able to write perfect grammar (eventually), but when it comes to speaking perfect grammar…that is a completely different story. When I speak I feel like I sometimes become dyslexic with my words or I just forget about using correct English and result in talking in slang. Oops. Depending on the situation I am I try to use correct English when speaking but that may not always work if I get too caught up in something, SO my future students better just ignore how I talk at times…

Overall, this week was a fun week of learning for me. I guess not so much learning, as reviewing, but still…I feel as if I accomplished something, made some new friends, realized how many classes I have with mostly the same people (which is awesome, let’s get some study groups going, eh?), and had fun learning all in one. I’d say that is a solid week. Although I do not enjoy math, NOR science in the least little bit, I absolutely love English for some reason and feel like I am doing something right with my life. That is a great feeling. Oh, P.S…we are one-third of the way through the semester!!!

1 comment:

  1. e. FOR as many of the sentences that we made, we all better be pro at identifying them now.

    first to answer your question:
    YET, (does that work? I put a comma after the coordinating conjunction instead of before…hmm…)Although I do not enjoy math, NOR science in the least little bit,
    Good question. The comma goes before a coordinating conjunction... but in this instance, you're not using it to join two sentences. No comma needed structurally, but it does give a little pause that I think you're wanting.
    I see that you're doing that a lot: opening a sentence with a FANBOYS. which gives your writing a lot of drama. I especially like "OR so I think." Nice short sentence.

    This is a FABULOUS sentence, Alyssa, because you compounded your verb and really got it going:
    I guess not so much learning, as reviewing, but still…I feel as if I accomplished something, made some new friends, realized how many classes I have with mostly the same people (which is awesome, let’s get some study groups going, eh?), and had fun learning all in one.


    Although I do not enjoy math, NOR science in the least little bit, == no comma before this NOR, since it's just joining two direct objects (MATH and SCIENCE), not complete sentences.

    I'm so excited to see you use and experiment with semicolons. Keep playing with them.

    ReplyDelete